All Post By Local Realtors

Monday, September 17, 2007

Water Water everywhere but only drops to buy!

Those of you, who know me personally, know my discussions on Real Estate almost always start and end with my Grandmother. We are going to be celebrating her 90th birthday this November. If she picks a restaurant to celebrate, no doubt it will have a water front view. She always buys on the water, and she never made it a secret why.  You see, while most grandmothers pass along recipes, mine passes along mostly financial advice. (That’s not to say that I can’t make a mouth watering marinara sauce or meatballs.)

There was her summer place in Breezy Point, she got into a bidding war at an open house in the 1960’s, and wound up paying about $13,000 for a house with an asking price of  $10,000. People said she was crazy. Today you could get it for $2M, possibly, if you were willing to “get on the waiting list,” as there are none for sale on the water right now. Then there is the one she just sold, the house was on a 2000 sqft lot, and although it is located in Brooklyn, it is still a one hour commute to Manhattan.  The new owner paid close to $2M, and has already begun knocking the house down to ground.

So more than a decade when I told her I’d be moving to Philadelphia, she asked “On the Delaware, or that other one I can’t pronounce?”  With the leading candidate for Mayor, Councilman Nutter, declaring one of his goals to rebuild the water front, talk of developing green space, parks and fields over the expressways, is there any doubt now?

I remember years ago when I took my first class on how to use the multiple listing server, and the showed us the water front, and water front view check marks, many thought “I’ll never need this.”  Some of you may have already seen the process in other places, perhaps even in this State, places like Conshohocken, so is there any doubt? I always relied on Grandma for advice and she never steered me wrong, as she approaches the age of 90, I can’t imagine she will start now.

 

 

 

Will Cafiero Realtor ®

 RE/MAX city space

215.435.8899 (M)

215.625.3650 x138

 

 

 

No comments: